10/01/2014

“Should an engagement ring be financed?”


A boyfriend proposes and gave his fiancé a very nice engagement ring. She is excited about the engagement but knows that her fiancé couldn't afford to purchase the ring without financing it. This led to her questioning the relationship...
Now before you make a personal determination, consider the following:
An engagement ring is a symbol of commitment. An engagement ring doesn't guarantee the success of a relationship. The primary focus should be on the relationship preparation and coming to a conclusion that you truly love the person you are involved with. No matter the size or cost of the ring, the relationship will only be as successful as the commitment of the two individuals to becoming one unit.

question: How do you feel about starting off your engagement in debt?
Debt can be a negative relationship obstacle. Relationships are difficult enough without the added pressure of debt. Debt can make a smooth relationship bumpy in a short period of time. Finances are cited as one of the top reasons marriages fail, so minimizing financial obstacles positions a couple for a greater chance of success.
A ring is not supposed to be a joint responsibility. A man traditionally presents an engagement ring to the woman he desires to marry. If a ring is financed, the debt is brought into the marriage. As a result, it then becomes the responsibility of the couple if they partner in finances. Doesn't this technically mean that the wife is then paying at least partially for her own engagement ring? I guess it depends on the way a couple agrees to manage household finances.
Interest paid increases the overall cost of the ring. If you are able to pay for the ring in full at the time of purchase, you eliminate the money paid in interest. Depending on the cost of the ring, this can potentially save the buyer thousands of dollars in interest payments.
Should an engagement ring be financed? My personal recommendation is to purchase the ring without the need for outside financing. However, it’s ultimately a personal decision that needs to be made by the responsible party. In the end, my hope is that couples would consider the long-term implications of bringing debt into their marriage.

So what else are my thoughts?
Let me share with you a little bit of my history.... When we  decided, that we would spend the rest of lives together, my then fiancé went with me to the Jeweler to pick out her ring.  We agreed on the one we both liked. So  a few months later I present it to her. I Worked some over time for 2 months every work day of the week, including some weekends and was able to afford what she wanted and bought the ring cash.  But here is the big BUT..... She didn't tell me that she had student loans.  I didn't have any debt. because my parent told me ( when I was growing up)  if you can't pay for something you do not need it, until you can pay for it. This is how My mind worked back then. I worked from 9-5 for 5 years and paid for my Bachelor of  Science degree myself. I Did by not having any student aid or loans. Imagine my shock when she told me,  after we were married that she owed  thousands of Dollars for her 2 years in college in student loans and because She never finished getting her Bachelor's of Arts degree, she had to start paying it back right away. We paid for years and years to get rid of that debt. I'm  SMH now, when I think about it, since  I loved the woman and told her I would give her whatever she wanted as long as I could afford it.... included the divorce 25 years later! 


 I guess she was  "My girl " that became a woman ,
who wanted what she wanted  and got rid of what she no longer wanted.   

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten