8/23/2013

Who is comfortable with the Term "Work-Husband " I'm not!

I have to state for the record... "I'm not a Jealous person"! But I have to question which husband would have "NO problem" with their wife  having a co-worker that she refers to as her "Work-Husband".
Maybe it's my ego, but I'm really thinking I'm not the only guy who is her husband ....... Am I taking this the wrong way?
"Work- husband" is a popular term used to refer to a co-worker, usually of the opposite sex, with whom an employee shares a close and plantonic relationship.. The "work-spouse" is equal part emotinal crutch, lunch buddy, confidant and caretaker, both in the sense that he can look out and advocate for the "spouse" in the work place and also run to the drugstore for an aspirin if the "work-spouse" is in need.

OK, let me confess... I've had 2 "work-wives",  when I was younger... one for each job I've held for longer than 2 years. As a consultant, which I became later,  over the periods of 15+ years, I didn't have any work -spouses, because I worked at the clients offices and did not associate with their employees that much.
The first (work-spouse) was a married woman, with whom I used to go to the gym on our lunch break or after work. We worked out together faithfully and occoasionally would sneak out and go for a drink after work. She kept me up-to-date on the high-level office politics (and rumors)... She was the Director's secretary. For clarity, we never crossed the line of becoming anything more.

The second  (work-spouse) was an  young lady who was engaged,  worked in the cubicle next to mine. There were only 6 of us in the office--- 2 senior systems Analyst, 2 project leaders, 2 programmers. I was a project leader and she reported to me as she was a programmer. We didn't go to lunch without each other for two years....

I should add that when I  got a call that my then-girlfriend had been keeping tabs on our comings and going, I stopped the lunch dates... because I knew how she felt about women of other cultures stealing black men from black women.





The good news is that if your wife is talking to you about her "work-husband", that most likely  it's an indication  that there is nothing fishy going on. If she were to keep this very close relationship a secret from you, that could be a serious sign  that there's something worth worrying about at least raising your eyebrows about.

Hopefully you're more at ease about "the work-husband" issue now, I know that some guys are not. " the work-wife" label that some women do  have a serious problem with that one( women don't trust women). So if your partner is using the term "work-spouse" and it bothers you,  speak up and let your partner know how you feel. their use of the term is propably a handy catchphrase and no indication that a work-spouse poses any threat to your relationship.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten