8/19/2013

You can't force your son or daughter to stick to their cultures!

I just read  an article on "Mixed Kids are the Cutest"..... when Races or cultures mix, it's almost as if the Universe says: "they will have many challenges to overcome in their lives, so let me take the best of both parents and give these kids a great look." I think things often said about biracial children are often good things. except if they are forced to choose one race over the other.Just let them be Mixed.
Mother's of African decent  find it difficult to reason and often find themselves encouraging their sons, to date  black women. I have a different opinion as a father of two young men, I never told my sons to choose a black mate.... I don't think my ex-wife did either. Judging from the choices the've made so far I don't think I can influence their choices at this stage either. So many people believe that this attitude of race mixing is wrong, while others think that sticking to your own kind culturally is racist.
Let me put it this way: You can't make your son or daughter date who they are not attracted to.
When was the last time anyone fell in love out of a sense of obligation? 



I once told my eldest son, I chose a wife, who was the same skin-tone as my mother. she had mostly the same values... that was the example I set for them. Now if my sons choose different to how I did... I just have to say they have different taste than I had at their age.
Mothers wrestle with the tension between wanting to instill racial/cultural pride and a love and appreciation of the diverse beauty of their cultures and wanting to honor the individual choices their children make around their social and romantic relationships.

I Recognized difference between cultures, and didn't push for mixing, or not mixing.
It really makes me wonder when things are going to change... 20+ years ago I worked on Wall street by day and attended a University at night. I became friends with a fella from Trinidad, we are almost the same completion. however he was of Indian decent (so he was a dark Indian). his last name reflects is heritage. We had more in common than not, even though our cultures were very different. We were surrounded with mainly white folks in class so we shared our experiences and cultures as we talked all the time. Not a bad friendship except for one thing he had no other friends but me, which made me wonder. I had quit a few African-american, Jamaicans and other groups from other Caribbean Island, as friends. My Trini-buddy  would invite me to his family apartment in Harlem, N.Y. where he lived with his parents and two sisters. One sister was about my age and the other was in highschool (they both seemed to like me.) His Dad had lived in Harlem for ten years before the rest of the family joined him from Trinidad. His duaghters had become very much Americanized, in a short period, but not his son (my buddy,) he was a Trini with Indian roots and that  was not going to change.  The middle sister was dating an African-american guy and got pregnant, which became a forced marriage. The mother was very nice but often confused me a bit with her desire to mother me... She would prepare meals and invite me over on Sundays almost religously (and woould seat me next to Jill, the youngest daughter 2 years younger than I))
 She developed a crush on me... I had no idea because I thought their culture did not like race mixing, I never made any moves on her. But she kept asking me to help her with Math, as I was explaining an Algebra  problems to her, one evening.. She reached out and touched my hand and said with a soft sweet voice (mind you she was 18 and a senior in highschool)  "I love...." before she could finish the sentence my buddy interrupted and told her to go help her mother in the kitchen. Jill turned and finished her sentence:" like I was saying, I love how you explain things to me. My brother always acts like he knows it all so by the time he finish explaining I'm usually more confused, and I love some many things about you especially your gentleness,  thank you! I turn and asked my Buddy why he jumped the gun when his sister said "Love"?. 
He said I have one sister left and she is "Special....." he had stopped speaking to his other sister, because she got married to someone other than an Indian from Trinidad. I understood what "his problem was..... I was good enough to be his only friend in N.Y. but not good enough for his younger sister...,.who did have strong feels for me...(and he knew this) You see this was the way things worked in their culture the brother was supposed to make sure that the sisters stayed true to their traditions (and failed with one sister.)  I found out years later, after I was married and went to visit them. She told me that she had a long talk with her mother about how she felt about me, and her mother told her I was too Worldly and much too  experience for her, so she should never let me know how she felt.  She never got married or had kids, what a waste of such a beauty woman. While my buddy who was very dark for an Indian, married a Jewish girl from N.J. hoping to have kids that would be lighter in skin-tone but they never had kids.  Go figure the Universe said: No."   






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten