11/03/2011

Ask yourself this question, Would I have the guts to do this.


John Carlos was born in HarlemNew York on 5th June, 1945. A talented athlete he won a scholarship to East Texas State University. Later he moved to San Jose State College. In 1967 he won the gold medal at 200 meters at the Pan-American Games. In the 1968 Olympic Trials, John Carlos broke the world record when he beat Tommie Smith in the 200 meter finals.
In 1967, John Carlos became a founding member of the Olympic Project for Human Rights (OPHR). Harry Edwards, a sociology professor at San Jose State College, tried to persuade African American athletes to boycott the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City to draw attention to racism in the United States. This campaign failed but some athletes did agree to wear black knee-length socks, while competing in their events.
Tommie Smith won the gold in the 200m final of the 1968 Olympic Games by setting a new world record.John Carlos, took the bronze. Both men decided to make a protest. While the Star-Spangled Banner played during the medal ceremony, Smith raised his right, black-gloved fist to represent Black Power, while Carlos's raised left fist represented black unity. Peter Norman, the Australian athlete who won the silver medal, joined the protest by wearing an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge.

What does  this  have to do with the current news in St. Maarten or the Wall Street protesters? From my point of view  the SxmPerspective is making a statement that history repeats its self in some form or another. As a guy who DOES NOT believe in "Kingdoms" I have a different  opinion on a number of things. for example: the Queen of the Netherlands visiting her Islands and causing poor people to scramble to make a big deal over her visit. My thoughts are as follows: St. Maarten is  no longer a Colony, and we are not the Queen's subjects, some will surely disagree with me on this. 
Let me say this, the Queen is a very nice lady, I have NO problem with her or her Royal Family. I have a problem with the structure. If the Queen of the Netherlands or England come to visit, let them pay for their rooms (suites)  food and transportation like any other TOURIST. They should Make a contribution to the Economy of an Island that is struggling. She can surely afford to pay for her visit herself. Treat her as "a Special Guest" based on what she pays for. The more They spends the better the service. It makes almost no-sense to me to go overboard for anyone who's EURO currency has greater value than the local currency, and expect the people of a little Island to sacrifice to honor her visit. Once again this is my opinion, and I have the Freedom of speech therefore I'm exercising my right to speak on the subject. 

I wonder what the reaction would be if a few Members of the siting Sxm Government would do what John Carlos and Tommie Smith did during  the "Dutch Anthem". LOL.  A few may be thinking it, but will not do it.. Since the Kingdom seems to have oversight control over two Ministries in particular, Finance and Justice, I would think that those two Ministers would not be happy with the way they are forced to deal with their Ministerial duties. I'm just a rebel, this is where I would draw attention to my arguments that the financial strangle hold is killing the Island in its growth, which affects us all. We are not a 3rd World Nation. A 3rd World nation could not afford to spend ANG 300,000 out of the already strict budget that is stretched to the limits for a 3 day visit. We are forced to live like a 3rd World Nation. Just for grins, Think about when you got your first job, and moved into you own home or apt.  I remember  my thoughts, My parents were still alive back them, BUT I was thinking this is my place and I make the decision under this roof. My Parents can visit but I decide when (No disrespect intended.) I thought to myself, I can seek their help, their advise, their guidance........ but in the end "I" make the final decisions about my household, my life and what I decide to do. I will follow the Rules and Laws of the place where I live, and I'm accountable to those within the community, City, County, State, Country of where I live. I can't Imagine Suriname going out of its way to invite the Queen of the Netherlands, and roll out the Red carpet at their expense. She may get that treatment if she pays for it "in Advance." Maybe not even then.  Suriname by the way received its independence from the Netherlands a few decades ago. Suriname is 4 times the size of the Dutch Nation that controlled it for centuries. Indonesia is another former territory the Dutch controlled that might not roll out the Red carpet either. NY was also owned by the Dutch which they swapped with the British for Suriname. NY has many Dutch names like Harlem etc..... Could you imagine NY as a Colony of the Dutch today? 
The A-B-C and S-S-S (6) Island in the Caribbean are the only territories that are still left within the Dutch Kingdom and are still being Ruled (with a remote control) by the Dutch. These Islands received their Autonomy in 1954 (57 years ago), BUT still have a status (even after all this time) that says "I can't run my own affairs" we have to stay linked to a Kingdom in Europe. The status of 3 Islands now labeled as the B-E-S are "Public Entities" they are Saba, Sint Eustatius and Bonaire.  I am sure members of the United Nations are scratching their heads wondering what the hell are "Public Entities?" They are not in the Netherlands so which Public are they talking about. The other 3 Islands Aruba, Curacao and St. Maarten are now Countries within the Kingdom, which is also weird. no real FREEDOM to run their own affairs. 

I wonder what my attitude would be, if I still had to check with someone (who don't live with me) on how  I should deal with my own household, trust me, I wouldn't be rolling out the Red carpet to Welcome them. 






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten