12/06/2012

How To Heal Broken Dreams in the New Year


We’ve all been ‘broken’ at one time or another. Relationships have fractured, hearts have been dislocated and even our feelings have been sprained. Often it is the internal wounds that take the longest to heal. In those times where the pain seems too much to cope, keep these keys in mind and embrace the healing process. Dreams may break, but we don’t have to remain an every day experience. This guy finished the race  with a broken leg. He was determined to let his dreams propelled him to continue to complete his leg of the race.



As we come to the close of another year, those on social media, like Facebook, know all too well what is about to take place. You’ve seen it, those grandiose posts declaring what the next year will bring for them. Some say prosperity, some put the friend list on notice that it’s time to ‘clean house’ and get rid of the negativity. Unfortunately, most of the chatter will never be followed up with actions. (I've seen my youngest son do this.) For whatever reason, we all seem to be fascinated with big promises, but know little of what to do to make it happen. try practicing yoga and breathing for mind and body healing.

Several years ago while playing football (soccer) I took a messy fall because a defender slide tackled me , that left my right knee in need of much rest. The doctors told me I was fortunate that I didn't need surgery. My knee was not  injured in such a way that time would not heal it, but if I did not rest it I only would make the process harder. As I begin to see the rumblings of the new year approach, I can’t help but think that some are just frustrated because somewhere along the line, they suffered a ‘fracture’ and it was never treated properly.
In life, just like in medicine, we need a professional to get us back on track. Here are a few things we all can use to speed up our recovery:

    When you’re injured, get a professional diagnosis immediately:
Often we feel we are strong enough to fix ourselves. While that is admiral, it is also foolish. We are surrounded by people who have the qualifications to address our issues. The problem is we don’t show up. When I hurt my leg, all my friends had their own ideas of what was wrong. But when the pain is personal, you have to get it right.When it comes to relationships its a matter of Healing broken dreams you had with someone you thought was the "one".. how you deal with it should be finding ways to heal what's inside.Learn to relax and avoid having angry thoughts whenever something about that person creeps into your mind.

    Remember, treatment will hurt but it is necessary:
Until the medications kick in, every little thing the doctor did hurt badly, and when ever the weather changed I was reminded that I hurt my knee. (Like now whenever the Christmas holidays roll around I'm reminded that i will not be sharing my holidays with the family I spent years building) Even the brace that was supposed to stabilize my knee was unbearable at times so I didn't wear it unless I  needed to do something that could make it hurt. It’s funny how the things that hurt us the most are really setting internal things right. Don’t let the process and occasional pain deter you from getting what you need. Do the little things constantly, its just like practice drills. work on  your self healing drills mentally all the constantly.

    Utilize your support system during rehab:
Only a few days after my injury I watch my friends play the game I loved since I was 6 years old , I was irritated to say the least. I was forced to stay on the sideline and rest my knee . What I found in rehab was a group of people who had suffered many variations of injuries just like mine. We had a common bond and when one of us was in pain or discouraged, there was a network of people cheering you on. In life, you need to be connected to people who’ve suffered, but are ready to make a comeback! But be careful they might be cheering you on to commit murder.

    Your biography doesn’t have to determine your future:
  Little by little my knee gained strength. I was having fun with new peeps at rehab and even found I needed the pain medications less. Then as quickly as it began, my rehab visits were done and it was time to put it all to the test. I will admit, that first full day out of my apt. back unto the busy streets of NY city was scary. Would I make it  up the stairs if the elevator was not working again? Would my knee just give out? I had to gear up mentally and remind myself I was totally healed and ready for action, if i just believed. Remember that whatever happened in the past is over, and you can now paint a brighter future.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten